Tuesday, August 31, 2010

SCOPE Scores Big with Lewis Black

To be honest, I never really cared much for SCOPE. I’ve only gone to maybe two of their events since freshman year, and I’m a senior now. But to be fair, it’s not really SCOPE’s fault. My favorite style of music is heavy metal, and I’m well aware that metal isn’t very popular to say the least. They’re not going to bring Opeth, Tool or Between the Buried and Me. If you’re scratching your head at those names, then I’ve proved my point.

Comedians are a whole different thing though. You don’t necessarily have to have a preference to go to a show and laugh at a person telling jokes, but I’m a jerk so I do. I don’t care for Jimmy Fallon, and I find Bo Burnham obnoxious. So I didn’t go to see either of them. However, I did go to Demetri Martin for Homecoming 2007 and loved it.

Needless to say when SCOPE wrote on their Facebook that they were going to be making an announcement last night, I took it with a grain of salt. But then, the New Hampshirite tweeted that they secured Lewis Black for this year’s Homecoming, and I couldn’t have been happier.

Lewis Black has been one of my favorite comedians for a long time now. He is probably most well-known for his unique style of angry rants that are nothing short of hilarious. Black is somewhat like George Carlin (another one of my favorites) in that respect because he usually discusses topics that piss him off and nothing is off-limits. He tackles politics, popular culture, religion, social trends, history, etc.

Black has his own segment, Back in Black, on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. He hosted a television show called The Root of All Evil on Comedy Central. He has released eight albums and seven DVDs, the latest being Stark Raving Black, which was released a few months ago. And at 62, his anger hasn’t dissipated.

I started listening to Lewis Black when I was probably too young to have doing so, which is most likely the reason why I like to rant about stupid things. I mean, I wrote a paper for a class sophomore year about how much I hate Green Day, and surprisingly my professor loved it. I credit Lewis for inspiration on that rant.

Anyway, I highly suggest you all spend October 10 in the Fieldhouse watching the one-of-a-kind Lewis Black. In case you need a little shove to go to the MUB ticket office next Tuesday, here’s some inspiration for you:


-Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment