Sunday, February 19, 2012

Four Years of UNH Hockey: From Behind the Glass

Over the past four years I have attended roughly 60 UNH men's hockey games at the Whittemore Center, possibly closer to 70 or more even. I only missed a home game or two a year (only one when I was actually on campus, the others coming over breaks.) UNH hockey is a way of life in Durham and it was a big part of my college career.

From my freshmen days of filling a Coke can half full of vodka for the walk from Williamson to the Whit, arriving just a few minutes before puck drop to eventually becoming a front row fan as a senior I've seen a lot of hockey. It was a pleasure this year to help out with The Wildcat Army and I fill with joy during every "I believe" chant because that was started on my suggestion. I hope that tradition carries on because I would love to have had an impact on the UNH hockey atmosphere.

Senior Night is for the players, but as a graduating senior I couldn't help but feel slightly emotional as I stood in the student section one last time. I think it means something to all of us who have been there throughout the years. Getting to step on the ice to pick up pucks on Senior Night was truly a great experience as a UNH fan. I took a few pictures as I gathered it all in.



I've seen a lot of great games at the Whit over these last few years. The Wisconsin games were entertaining and well as the Miami-Ohio and Michigan games, but nothing compares with the two game home series against Maine last year. Thompson's last minute backhander after Nyquist missed an empty net was legendary.


The 5-5 tie against Miami-Ohio a few years back was another great one. It featured 9 second period goals (5 from UNH) and it will go down as one of the most entertaining periods I've seen. This year's game against Northeastern earlier in the season (with the power outages) was another great one. With only the student section remaining after three power outages, that game will be one to remember. I remember watching UNH's upset over North Dakota in the NCAA regional from my dorm room in Williamson. Last year's tournament upset over Miami-Ohio was another great game.

I got to see future and current pros and UNH legends such as James van Reimsdyk, Bobby Butler, Brian Foster, Blake Kessel, Phil Thompson, Phil DeSimone, Mike Sislo, Peter Leblanc and hopefully more from the current roster. Not to mention future NHL stars from the other Hockey East schools.

Going to hockey games has been amazing and I would like to thank all of the players. This has been a tough season for UNH fans, but I think the underclassmen have shown a lot of potential. I'm definitely looking forward to following this team as an alumni. To all the seniors, Tyler Scott, Kevin McCarey (whose easy button slap last night was epic) Matt Digirolamo, Damon Kipp, Stevie Moses and Mike Borisenok - thank you. I've never met you guys, but it was great seeing your careers progress these last four seasons. To all the underclassmen, best of luck in the upcoming years and make the most of it. This hasn't been our year, but I think a UNH championship is not far off.

Stay classy, not UMassy.

3 comments:

  1. fair or foul? Digi not getting the start on Senior night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair... They need every win right now. If they had won Friday, then he probably would have though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd say foul, Matt was solid last year, you can't forget the work that he's done. Every other senior got ice time and Digi was not given any.....

    ReplyDelete