Monday, September 28, 2009

UNH Campus Alert

Yesterday afternoon UNH issued a campus alert describing a sexual abuse claim from early Sunday morning. For those of you yet to see the email here is the body:
On Sunday morning September 27, 2009 between midnight and 1:00 am a female University of New Hampshire student reported being sexually assaulted in an unknown on-campus dormitory by an unknown male. The male is described as:

White
Between 18 and 20 years of age
Approximately 5'10
Approximately 160 lbs
Slim build
Clean shaven
Navy blue baseball cap
Short hair
Unknown color button down shirt
Blue jeans
Umm, honestly that describes me very accurately. A few of my friends even jokingly accused me. I almost always wear jeans and I have a blue UNH baseball hat. The only difference is that I don't really wear many collared or button down shirts, and I wasn't wearing one this weekend. And I had a bit of a scruff and dirty sanchez going. I was with a group of friends at that time, and we were at D-Hop so don't get any ideas.

I also realize that this description also includes about 80% of the male students on campus. 5'10 and 160 is a pretty average size for an 18-20 year. I don't understand how the name of the dorm is unknown. I feel like that would be a major piece of evidence. If the victim can't recall that, how do we know the rest of the information was accurate? Couldn't she at least describe her location?

I think this is a prime example as to why security cameras would come in handy around campus. I have to give credit to TNH for making that point clear after the stabbing that occurred at Yale. Let's face it, there are probably a handful cases like this every weekend, but most of them go unreported. The only way to limit them and find people would be to have cameras set up in various locations. If the police can get grants to hide in the woods all night, and make unlimited arrests, I don't see how cameras would be out of the question. This would make for a much safer campus and for once UNH and the local police could collaborate on something productive.

I have decided, just right now, that all this week I will be featuring my favorite guitarists of all time at the end of each post. I am a huge fan of music and I realize that at UNH a lot of people neglect the art of shredding a guitar. Each day I'll embed a song that features guitarists with different styles, techniques and from different genres and decades. I figured the best way to start of the week would be with a little informative session with probably the most innovative guitarist of the last 15 years. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave doing what he does:



I recommend watching parts 2 and 3 if this interested you.

Stay classy, not UMassy

2 comments:

  1. I cant agree more, there is no way these people will ever be caught with these ridiculously generic characteristics

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough situation. On one hand, cameras could be used to catch real criminals and make UNH a safer place. On the other hand, I have a feeling police would abuse their surveillance power to arrest more harmless underage drinkers and such.

    ReplyDelete