Since I never wrote one of my unbelievably awesome game recaps from the Michigan game I'll share a few thoughts on what I can remember:
- Despite the tie score, I felt UNH definitely outplayed the higher ranked UM team.
- Solid play from goalie Matt DiGirolamo
- Nice to see a variety of players putting points up after just three games
- Pretty solid crowd, loud, but I think we can do better!
- I almost passed out after UNH tied it at 3-3. I screamed so loud I got light headed. That's what everyone in the student section should be like after a big goal.
- Need to work on special teams play, especially the penalty kill. Michigan was 3-3 on power plays. UNH was 1-5.
- I really enjoyed UNH's aggressive and physical play, especially against a Michigan team that appeared to have more size.
- Michigan's goalie Shawn Hunwick made some ridiculous saves. He definitely kept them in the game.
- I still think UNH got robbed by an early whistle as a puck squeaked through Hunwick's pads and into the net in the first period. It is impossible to say how it would have affected the game had that goal been allowed, but at the very least, UNH would have had a better chance at a win.
- Still confused on why no hitting after the whistle was called on the Michigan player who crushed a UNH player from behind in a scrum with about a minute and a half left in regulation.
- Another solid effort from UNH against a higher ranked team, let's hope they continue this level of play into the Hockey East games.
Stay classy, not UMassy.