Monday, October 25, 2010

Shenanigans in NYC

So I was going to write a big long post detailing all my shenanigans in New York City from Thursday and Friday, but to tell you the truth I don't remember much... Just kidding I remember it all, but I know most of you probably  wouldn't read the entire post so I'll keep it semi brief. (Read: there are some things left better unwritten.)

In a 27.5 hour period (beginning Thursday at 7 am and ending Friday around 10:30 am) my brother and I spent roughly 13 or so hours on a bus. Luckily I slept (read: was passed out) for the return trip. Anyways, we arrived to NYC around 2 pm on Thursday afternoon. First bar around 3. They had $5 beer and whiskey shot combos, which is probably the greatest way to ever start off a day of drinking before a rock concert. Think about it, you're drinking a shot and beer in the amount of time you would normally do one or the other. That's twice the drunk in half the time! How could things ever turn out bad? (Hint: They don't!)

The place was a total dive, we coined the term "Duct tape Dive" because the entire booths were held together by red duct tape. The bartenders were wasted, along with all the other people there.  I love NYC. Anyways, we hit another bar after on the way to the concert. Had a few Jim Beam nips and finally the doors opened early around 6:30 or so.

Anyways, the concert was unreal. My Morning Jacket was unbelievably good and if you ever have the chance to seem them you really should. They played all of their album "It Still Moves" (they were doing 5 nights in a row, featuring a different album each night and recording it for a DVD box set). During their encore they played a few B-sides, a Bob Dylan cover, and a very awesome cover of the Band's "It Makes No Difference" and finished with a cool version of Lionel Richies' "All Night Long." If you're a fan of the band check out Youtube for recordings of just about every song they played, especially "Run Thru;" it was an intense performance with crazy strobe lights.

All in all it was an epic 27.5 hours. New York City never disappoints and you never know what you're going to see. Like the legitimately insane guy inline behind me at the bus station. The dude was absolutely terrifying.

That is how you fuckin' rock!

Tomorrow I'll  post my TNH column about my experience at the Colonial Clash before getting back to the regular postings. 

Stay classy, not UMassy.

1 comment:

  1. Um you got to hear all of it still moves? well that is awesome! The first song I ever heard them play was "One Big Holiday" when they opened for Pearl Jam a few years back.
    They're soooooo sick!
    Peace out,.