Saturday, May 8, 2010

Girl Talk Review

I would like to start of this post by saying that I have a new found respect for SCOPE. Yesterday afternoon a few SCOPE members stopped by Libby's and left two Girl Talk tickets with a bouncer for El Pres. I don't know if he ever got them, but I just think that is really funny. What a lot of people don't realize, and I mentioned this in a comment before, is that UNH was the only school where he tried to go through a student organization. Every other show was booked by the venue or an off campus bar or club. I really believe that most student organizations would have run into the same problems that happened here at UNH.

That being said, it sounds like people had a lot of fun last night. I haven't heard much of the Stoolapalooza show, but Girl Talk was pretty nuts. From the giant video screen to the confetti to the toilet paper leaf blower gun things. It seemed as if everyone was dancing the entire show dripping in sweat by the time it ended. Of course I can't really give a set list, because he mashes songs up on stage but there were quite a few awesome mix-ups. As a classic rock fan Black Sabbath's "War Pigs," "Teenage Wasteland" by the Who and John Lennon's "Imagine" (which was the final song) were mixed in with hip-hop beats or lyrics were a few of my personal highlights. I really feel like he hit a lot of different genres and everyone came away happy.

 Of course, it's not as fun as seeing the music actually played, but it was a really cool concert that I probably would have never seen had SCOPE not booked him. That is one thing that I've really come to appreciate SCOPE for recently, they bring in acts for low ticket prices that I normally wouldn't see. I mean I have been to Philadelphia (7 hour drive) and NYC twice to see my favorite bands, so I don't really care if they were to come here because I would see them anywhere with in a day's drive. However, acts like MGMT (I might drive an hour to two for them depending on the location/prices etc) and definitely Girt Talk I never would have seen had SCOPE not booked them.

So once again, I am saying job well done to SCOPE. MGMT and Girl Talk might be the best back-to-back shows in a while for any UNH organization. Hopefully MUSO can keep it up with Titus Andronicus on Sunday night, hope to see a good turnout for that show.

Stay classy, not UMassy.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a great time - sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. review of mainstreet mag/ aegis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you havent check out barstools website yet please do review the video of "fuck the scope" hahahahaha. oh jaaaysus.

    http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/unh-was-fun-as-shit/

    ReplyDelete