Thursday, September 16, 2010

Get to it

Hello all. Sorry for not posting yesterday. Wednesday is my busiest day and on top of that I was working on a paper and then I got surprised/distracted by a Wasted Wednesday. Hey why not... I wasn't the one who passed out underneath couch cushions or in a kitchen cabinet so I guess it was worth it. I must say this is probably going to be my busiest semester to date so there will be days where I may not post, but I'll try my best to stay on top of things. For example, I should be writing a paper right now, but I'm not. You're welcome.

I would like to talk a little bit about what being a college student means to me. College is a crazy time of your life. It is a very short time, generally four years, during that awkward transition period between being a teenager and an adult. We're all in this together. It consists of sleep, eating, school work and socializing. That's pretty much it. Sure some people play sports and others have jobs or are in student organizations, but for the most part that is it. That is why the college diet primarily consists of Ramen, Red Bull, Nyquil and alcohol. It is safe to say that 100% of you take part in 3 out of those 4. Okay, maybe like 95% because there are people who don't do their work. But they'll be out of here within a semester.

I am proud to say that I have learned a lot in the majority of my classes. Now, whether or not those random facts, ideas, and philosophies will even come up again in my life, that is up for debate.  I do know however, that the people I have met and the things I have experienced will impact my life down the road. This is why I strongly believe the social aspect a college student gains is infinitely more important than anything a professor will ever say. Sure you can recite fact after fact from textbook X, but do you have the ability to communicate that information to others?

What I am saying is don't stay cooped up in your dorm room all day. Be active, join an organization, attend athletic games or concerts. If you go to a party, even something small, take part in conversations. It can be tough and scary, so take baby steps. Who wants to look back on their college years and only be able to recite facts, dates and equations? There is something for everyone here so take advantage of those options before it is too late.

If you are the opposite of that, use your alcohol and partying as motivation. Think, "if I get this paper done now, I can celebrate and party 10 times harder tonight. Fuck yeah!" Make sure you include the "fuck yeah," yell it if you must. It will really help with the motivation. Fuck yeah!

Stay classy, not UMassy.

PS: Our facebook fan page is currently at 99 people! Let's take it into triple digits people!

No comments:

Post a Comment