Thursday, November 12, 2009

SCOPE

EDIT: read entire post before leaving. Bo Burnham is awesome and I am pumped SCOPE booked him. 


Dear SCOPE,
You claim to be UNH's Student Committee On Popular Entertainment. I think you should switch the "S" to Shitty and "P" to Preventing. I understand that it is impossible please 10,000 college students, but time after time you build up every concert just to let a large amount of students down.

3 PM (ish) Thursday November 12th:
You [SCOPE] have a facebook announcement that says "got a nice announcement for everyone..... check back in a bit for an update." You do not deserve to be able to makes us wait.  The fact of the matter is that if you didn't build up every fucking show as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, then far less people, including me, won't bitch about it being a let down.

3:30 -7 PM:
Between my last classes of the week I begin checking back on SCOPE's facebook, hoping to be surprised with a decent show. I also try looking up the tour dates on band's websites. No luck. I probably tried close to 100 bands or comedians. I suggest to my roommate I think it might be a comedian because there wasn't a homecoming comedian like normally. I still question myself about why I keep checking back, because deep down I know that you will still let me down. (Note: I didn't spend this whole time waiting. I have a life [debatable]. I went downtown to the ATM and to Store 24 among other things.)

8 PM:
I start Thirsty Thursday related activities.

8:25 PM:
You finally posted again with "announcing our next show very shortly." Just fucking come out as say whoever the fuck you got. Seriously, just tell us who you book like it is no big deal and that way no matter who it is we won't be let down. That way if it is someone good, we will react more positively. It is like that old saying "act like you've been there before." I understand that you have a small budget, but don't be douchbags and act like you're the shit because you are not. Play all your shows off like it is your routine, because that is your job. You job is to entertain us, not let us down because the show you booked couldn't live up to it's expectations. 

8:40PM
At this point you haven't announced it yet, but if it is another shitty pop rapper I will freak the fuck out. Rap is terrible live. It's just a bunch of dudes standing on stage with microphones. If you're going to get a rap show, get someone like the Roots who play instruments because drum machines have no soul. Bands are way more entertaining simply because there is more to a band performance.  

8:48 PM:
I'm still fucking waiting... I hate you.

8:57PM:
I notice on your facebook page it says, "The UNH Student Committee On Popular Entertainment brings you the best concerts and entertainment every year. But sorry, we just can't afford Dave Matthews, Kanye West, Jack Johnson, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga or Rhiana." A) You do not bring us the best concerts and entertainment every year. B) DMB and Kanye are solid, personally I think they both are bit over rated. In both cases I like their older material better. As for the rest, while very popular and would easily sellout, would be terrible live. This just proves how disoriented you are. C) Taylor Swift would be cool, because she is hot and actually talented apart from rappers, but  country wouldn't be good for a college atmosphere. 

9:10 PM:
I decided that even if you get a show I like, I still won't like you for all the shit you put me through over the last few hours. Hopefully this announcement is made soon, I'm getting pissed. And since when is "very shortly" 45 minutes? 

9:25 PM:
One hour is not "very shortly." SCOPE you have officially pissed me off... SCOPE has logged back onto facebook...

9:38 PM: 
A SCOPE member writes "announcing our fall comedian at midnight." I was right with my comedian prediction. I have faith that they can land a solid comedian. I love stand up, so I'm really hoping it is somebody worth paying for.


Stay classy, not UMassy. 


EDIT: 9:50PM Rumors are that it will be youtube star Bo Burnham. I've heard he is very funny for college shows. I am a huge fan of Bo Burnham, well done SCOPE... but I still hate you for making me wait.  I actually checked his website and UNH wasn't listed.

5 comments:

  1. Dude, really? I think half the fun is the anticipation waiting for scope to make concert announcements. I always walk by the mub corkboard in hopes that there'll be some new scope show poster. And who cares if its not exactly my cup of tea. I know I'll be leaving UNH with the most random collection of concert stubs, and I havent regretted checking any of the shows out. Have you ever gone to their office to talk to them? You'd see all the rediculous requests they get, and you'd understand why a disclaimer saying "terrible" music like gaga or lil wayne is necessary. SO MANY PEOPLE HERE WANT TO SEE IT. And their history is fucking unreal...they brought aerosmith, bruce, dylan, rage, the fugees...all in the past. Who knows what acts they're bringing now are going to be those future legends, but I'm glad I'll be able to say I was there. Here's to another scope show...can't wait for bo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I understand that they get ridiculous requests and I actually know a few members very closely. I said I know that those artists are very popular, but I just don't find singers or rappers to be nearly as entertaining as a full band.

    I too always look forward to the next show, but I was referring to their facebook updates. they kept saying, check back soon, and apparently by soon they meant 8 hours. I would have been fine if they just gave us a time to check back instead of being so unclear about it.

    But let's be honest, who have they brought recently? Snoop was huge and dropkick murphy's are sweet but I wasn't impressed by any of the shows last year. I am a big fan of Bo, I actually requested him on their surveys.

    I have never heard that they got aerosmith, bruce, dylan, rage. If they did that is awesome, but what happened? They haven't had a show like those since the chili peppers in the 90's. I realize a show like that would cost a ton of money, I am just tired of rappers. I also realize it is impossible to please the entire campus with one show, that is way variety is important.

    And I think if they acted more nonchalantly about their bookings it would make them seem more legitimate less douchey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally believe that UNH is spoiled rotten with the music that is brought here. And you just sound like a Whiney little child who has nothing better to do than stock people on facebook. I am not in SCOPE but i highly respect the group and what they do. They dont have a million dollars to bring Dave or Jack Johnson...and if you dont believe me contact SAFC and they'll tell you. When they brought SNOOP it was by total luck that he fell into their lap and a show of that magnitude can not be expected every year. So shut up and be greatful for what you get. P.S they are legitimate and they try really hard to make
    everyone happy but how can you honesty think they can completely satisfy 10,000 students ??? If you ask me, your the one that sounds like a douche, not SCOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I did write a post where I talked to people from SAFC. (here: http://www.unhblog.com/2009/12/scope-primed-for-big-spring-show.html) And I said that I know we can't afford DMB or Jack Johnson. I also said I understand it is impossible to please 10,000 students, and that SCOPE does a great job for what they are alloted. What makes you think I stalk people of facebook, because I'm friends with SCOPE UNH?

    ReplyDelete
  5. waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete