Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two Rants

I was thinking about writing today's post about how I'm not going to Akon because I actually like music but I realized that everyone has different tastes in music and Akon is a pretty big name. That being said, I expect SCOPE to get a big band for spring climax, since they were able to get Akon for the homecoming show. Everyone knows that spring climax is always the biggest show of the year and there is no way that SCOPE would get two hip-hop artists in the same year because they are always talking about branching out through different genres. I am trying to use logical thinking, and that led me to believe that SCOPE must be getting a well known band for next semester. Do you realize what I am getting at? If SCOPE fucks us over with another rapper (I do like rap, but lets face it full bands are almost always more entertaining live) in the spring, I will snap. SCOPE, don't let that happen.

(*Note: none of the following has been researched or fact checked. I am simply relaying stuff that I have heard from other students. I feel like the job as a campus blogger is to make the opinions of students available to others. I am not being a journalist here, I am a blogger. In blogs you are allowed to voice opinions without facts. I am not in the position to comment on or have any real knowledge on the following person so save yourself the time of saying I don't know what I'm talking about. Because I already know that.)

Adam McCready's name has been thrown around a lot lately. He is the director of Greek Life here at UNH and I have never had the pleasure of meeting him. I am also not involved with any Greek system on campus. But, from what I've heard from people both involved in the Greek system and non-Greeks, is that he is a complete douche. It has been said that he is ruining Greek life all together by restricting how and when fraternities are allowed to throw parties. Anyone who hurts UNH's party scene is a bad guy in my books.
Supposedly he is the guy behind specific fraternities getting in trouble, while others remain left alone. Students claim that he spends too much time on keeping unrecognized fraternities, unrecognized and not enough time help recognized fraternities keeping their status. That sounds pretty lame to me. I believe that everyone (including fraternities and sororities) deserves a second chance.
I'm an being general here, there are people, like serial killers, who don't deserve second chances so don't be a prick an comment on that statement...
... back to McDouchey...
It has also been said that he is making it really hard for frats to stay out of trouble (let's not forget that he once got caught on campus drinking with underaged people.) Is that really the type of person we want running our Greek system? That seems pretty contradicting if he can get away with drinking with minors and then he gets frats in trouble for stuff like that. Some students think that by being so harsh on Greek life, he may be ruining some old traditions that out date his own age.
Just look at some of his comments he has had about certain greek societies: in reference to Phi Kappa Theta being "a social drinking group" and "the best parties do not equal the best players." These quotes taken from a TNH article go to show that he is way too immature to handle his position. He needs to grow up and realize that he hasn't been doing his job. I feel that McCready should help these unrecognized fraternities gain back their status instead of trying to spread biased propaganda about their reputations.

What do you think of this whole McCready situation? Is he doing the right thing, or is he in way over his head and only hurting the UNH Greek system?

Stay classy, not UMassy.

1 comment:

  1. i understand what you mean by branching out with different music and stuff but at the end of the day, its all about the money and i think SCOPE could give a fuck about who they get, they rather fill the whit than the field house. we'll see what SCOPE does now

    ReplyDelete